Saturday, June 1, 2013

Edits, edits, and more freakin' edits.

   I think so far the aspect of this all that I dislike the most is the editing process.  Having to go over everything again, and again just gets so damn tedious.  I've started to lose count of how many times I've re-read what I have so far.
   Picking it apart for even the tiniest flaws, misspellings and errors.  Rewording, rearranging, or even completely rewriting some sections.  And word repetition.  Oh fuck, don't even get me started on word repetition.  I can't seem to get away from it.  There was a paragraph in chapter 4 that had the same word used five friggin' times.  The hell was I thinking?
   An upside to the editing and re-reading thing is that it allows me to see what the book is becoming.  Now that its been refined a few times and some of the rough edges sanded down, I can say that I am happy with how my little tale is developing.  With every round of edits it's really starting to read and feel like an actual novel.  A few times I've even caught myself forgetting that I am supposed to be making corrections and actually getting involved in what I'm reading.
   Unfortunately my editor is still out with his medical stuff, and due to other familial obligations and responsibilities,  he has been unable to return to editing with me and may not be able to finish the project at all.  Which will suck on toast because a) My grammar sucks, so those edits will be crap. And b) I will now probably have to pay someone to do the final editing.  Which is expeeeeeensive.  Not ridiculously so, but for a lives-paycheck-to-paycheck kinda dude like myself, its gonna be a big hit to the'ol pocketbook.
   Kind of a necessary evil though.  I'm so focused on the edits because I don't want people stumbling over what they're reading.  Nothing ruins getting sucked into a book like having to abruptly stop and ask, "What the hell does that mean?"
   I really want the story to flow.  To be as polished as I can get it before tossing it out to the wolves.
   Before I leave you this time I have a small announcement.  I have finally selected a section of the book to use as a teaser.  Once the edits to it are done I will make it available.  Hopefully in the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment