Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My brain lives in Fantasia

     I'm sitting here watching Hayao Miyazaki's 'Howl's Moving Castle' and getting ready to write when something occurred to me.
     My books are going to be weird.
     My biggest influences from way back when are Jim Henson, movies like Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal.  As well as Monty Python and Mystery Science Theater 3000.  Getting movie sign and being taunted by Dr. Forrester and T.V.'s Frank are among some of my favorite memories.
     My imagination has been fed by master directors, authors, filmmakers, actors and actresses, writers, and artists of all flavors.  Edgar Allen Poe, H.R. Giger, and H.P. Lovecraft are my imaginations creepy uncles that you like anyway.
     The books I am going to write will be a vibrant mixture of all those influences.  A world where Anime mixes with Shakesspeare.  So many things are influenced by the things we watch, read, and listen to.
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the       imagination and life to everything."
      --Plato
   I've been watching MST3K since I was nine and there are still layers of jokes that I am only now getting after watching every movie innumerable times.  Pop culture jokes, music jokes, history jokes.  So many references from so many sources.  I want to weave that into the tales I tell.  Real life can never equal anything like that.  I see the world as  very dark place and I think more and more people are coming to see it that way too.  That's why I want to write.  I want to create worlds that have some light in it.  A world where love does exist, side by side with magic.
     I love the idea of magic.
     There's just something about the idea of magic.  Wizards, warriors, demons, and dragons.  I want to live in a world like that so I will create it.  And hopefully share it with a few people.  If even one person (Non-friend or relative.) reads my book and likes it, then I would be happy.
     If your that person and your reading this, then thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment