Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The battle with Chapter 6 continues...

     Haven't been able to get much writing done this last week due to work.  But was able to put in nearly a page one morning before work and was able to finish patching up chapter 5 with Tim my editor.  As usual drove him crazy with my unconscious vendetta against possessive apostrophes and commas.
     Stoopid   grahmur;
     At least on my last two days I was able to squeeze a couple more pages out.  So far C6 is ten pages long which is better than I was expecting.  Hoping to add at least another five.  Chapter length has been a concern since I first started.  When researching about publishing I couldn't find out what most publishers look for in length or word count, so I'm just trying to add as much as possible.  Figured it would be easier to cut stuff later than have to add twenty-thousand words.
     Don't know whether I was just out of practice from not having written anything for seven years or the unfamiliarity of following an actual writing plan combined with not writing a story that was as far from reality as possible (My earlier stories were swords and sorcery type, a world completely of my own.) but I got off to a very shaky start.  The prologue and the first few chapters were short and just didn't feel quite right.  Didn't start to find my stride until C3 (According to my editor anyway.) and it has gone better since then.
The secret really is to write.
     Write, write, write, write, write, write, write.
     Write if you feel like it, write if you don't, write if it's brilliant, write if it sucks.  Not only is it easier to go back and fix stuff, but you will be amazed what you come up with at those times.
     In my case it's dropping a helicopter on my characters.
     Hopefully will be able to add at least another two pages tonight and tomorrow.  If I can keep this up and average at least ten pages a chapter I should be able to hit my minimum goal of three-hundred pages.
     I'll keep AURYN on hand for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment