Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Got the madness covered, now how 'bout some method.

I feel like I'm trying to level up but can't find a quest.  Haven't done jack squat in about two weeks.  Nothing new anyway.  Took the time to go back and just read what I have so far.  Kind of a chance to stop and make sure I'm still coloring in between the lines.  So far I like what I'm seeing.
     But I keep getting hung up on the smallest things.  Trying to get this seed of an idea to grow into a full blown scene has been like pulling frelling teeth.  So far every version of the scene in the gun shop has come out like a really bad exploitation film.  Think 'Pulp Fiction' directed by Uwe Boll.
     *shudder*
     Not the tone I want for my first book.
     Still having to fight against lack of motivation.  Which kinda blows my mind seeing as I can't stop thinking about it.  All day, every day, some part of my mind is thinking about some aspect of this book.  Its the first thing on my mind when I wake and the last when I go to sleep.  So why the frelling-frakking-fucking hell is it so hard to get myself to do anything?
     Part of me thinks that I may be focusing on it too much.  Thinking about one thing all the time can get a bit stressful.  Hell, I can't even play video games anymore without feeling guilty that I am not writing.  I may have somehow crossed from being my own cheerleader to being my own drill sergeant.
     One thing that I do find helps is writing while listening to music.  I know a real revelation right?  Reading AND listening to music?  I'm a freakin' genius!
     Okay, delusion over.
     But yes I do really find that music helps fuel the imagination in a way nothing else can.  Except for smell maybe but I'm not going to write the first scratch and sniff zombie book.  Ewwwwwww.  
  Classical or instrumental works well for me.  Especially soundtracks like 'Dark City', 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind', or 'Braveheart'.  Also the soundtrack for Halo: ODST.  And last but not in anyway least the soundtrack for Skyrim and Minecraft.  Mix generously with random Weird Al and MST3K music tracks, blend and enjoy.
     Serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment