Thursday, April 11, 2013

Implementing an idea...

   I find myself regularly struggling to take an idea and make it into a scene.  In this case I need more conflict for my little band of adventurers and decided to give them some competition for much needed equipment.  That's the idea.  Turning it into an interesting scene is another ball of wax.
   Aside from the creative stuff of who does and says what, just the continuity is enough of a problem. Who is where in the room, what are they doing, what have they done or said. How much personality do I give to people I know are about to get munched on by zombies.
   Taking a nugget of an idea and trying to make something out of it is like trying to make a pizza crust with too little dough.  I'm always trying to fill gaps that open up. 
   This is another area that the motto of 'KEEP FREAKIN' WRITING' deffinitely applies. Its been pretty cool to see some of the things I've come up with just typing out the first thing that comes to mind. My mind pulling bits and pieces from every T.V. show, film, book, and comic I have ever experienced and mashing them together. Sometimes with really bizarre results.
   It's cool seeing characters evolve as both the book and I grow.  It's also a bit odd to have something that exists purely in your mind begin to have a mind of its own.  Maybe to be a good author you need to be an itsy-bit-schitzy.  You end up with some serious Smeagol/Gollum moments going on which can be enlightening and frightening as what's essentially different slivers of your own personality interact with each other.
   The more I write the more often I find myself questioning my own sanity.  The things I see in my head can't possibly be fueled by anything but pure insanity.  Just a spark of madness mind you, but isn't a spark enough?
   The world isn't scary or messed up enough, so let's add zombies.  Don't believe in love or see hope?  Create it.  Add heroes and heroines that one rarely finds anymore.  People who do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.
  Humans are never satisfied with what is.  That's what I love about books and writing is that we are unhappy with how things are we just ignore what's real and make it up and then share our reality with other people.  There are few things I love more in this world than picking up a book and slipping into someone else's head for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment